Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Chinese Restarantuers Corner The Market On Christmas

One benefit about being a non-Christian on Christmas is that you don't celebrate the holiday and you can open your restaurant up on Christmas day and corner the market. On Christmas day I noticed that most of the Chinese Restaurants, the buffets in particular were open while all of the other stores, sans a few drug stores were closed. Even the much hated Wal-Mart that is accused of being amoral saw fit to close their doors and allow the wounds upon their employees backs (if you allow some people to tell it that is) to heal on the day that Jesus' birth is celebrated.

There is one exception to this rule thought. The venerable "Waffle House" was jam packed with diners, some of whom no doubt said "Aw Crap! I don't have any place to eat. Let's see what is open today".

I have to admit being a victim of this unexpected Christmas Day need for food. I had expected that my wife had plans for us to go over her family's house to eat dinner. I didn't plan for lunch earlier in the day. With all of the grocery stores closed and all of the meat that is in our fridge still frozen I was stuck with the option of cracking open a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup - the condensed type where you add a can of water. I luckily found a Chinese restaurant that was hidden away in a strip mall that had cars parked in front of it. I hadn't gone there in years because they screwed up my previous order, giving me some pork dish by mistake when I ordered beef. Something must have gotten lost in the translation I figure.

No comments: