Saturday, July 28, 2007

Banks Making Big Bucks From Overdraft Fees

Banks pull in $17.5 billion in overdraft fees
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2007/07/27/overdraft_0729.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

I am all for capitalism and "let the market decide" but these banks are out of control. In theory their new automated systems to validate identitites and make it easier for us to access our money should allow them to reduce their fees as automation takes the place of human intervention. Instead fees have become a profit center for them. In allowing you to use your Visa Debit card to make purchases when you don't have money in your account they know that you are going to be hit for $35 per pop.

I try to use my credit union debit card for petty cash purchases so that I don't allow the mega bank's fees to hit me. I wish that a bank, seeing an opportunity to take customers away from banks who are raking in money when their customers make a mistake will offer a checking account with a $15 maximum NSF fee.

No comments: